Sunday, August 29, 2010

Whole-Wheat, Buttermilk, Blueberry Pancakes

Yesterday was another amazing day. I went with my friend to the farmer's market in Moscow, bought a whole bunch of produce, then we went antique hunting (I found some fun things there too!),  and then had dinner at her parents house (pesto pasta, fresh salad, bread from the farmer's marked, and sweet corn. Holy yum).

Our biggest purchase by far at the market was a flat of blueberries. A flat is $30, so we split it.  In my excitement to get the berries washed and plopped into the freezer, I forgot to take a pictures of the flat. But it is kind of a lot of berries! We each kept some out of the freezer to be eaten fresh. This is where the pancakes come in!

I already have a whole wheat pancake recipe on here, I know, but this one takes the (pan)cake. Even though they look kinda ugly.

 
It's adapted from Smitten Kitchen here.

Whole Wheat, Buttermilk, Blueberry Pancakes
(I halved the recipe because I'm just cooking for one person, so this recipe only serves about two. I'd double it if cooking for a group)

1 cup Whole Wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 Tbs sugar
1 egg separated
1 1/2 cups buttermilk (I used skim milk + 1 tsp vinegar and let it sit for a while)
unsalted butter for the pan

BLUEBERRIES or CHOCOLATE CHIPS or BANANAS or WHATEVER ELSE! Seriously, almost anything would taste good here.

Preheat griddle or cast iron skillet on medium-high heat. Mix dry ingredients together. Beat the egg whites to stiff peaks. Whisk together the egg yolk and buttermilk.  Stir the yolk and milk mixture into the dry ingredients. Finally gently fold in the egg whites to all of it.

To cook your pancakes, Smitten Kitchen has a wonderful set of tips for cooking them just right here.

Set temperature on the griddle or stove top to medium, and put 1/4 cup of the batter into the pan. Now drop in your add-ins. For blueberries, plunk them down on top of the cooking batter. Wait a few minutes until the pancake is cooked on that side, flip it over, and let it cook just a bit more before setting it on your plate, drizzling it with pure maple syrup, and demolishing it.

Enjoy. Note how the steaming pancakes actually fogged up my lens!


Round two :)

No comments:

Post a Comment