Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Homemade Crunchy Buckwheat Granola

I've been craving granola for my oatmeal for quite some time now, but either couldn't bring myself to buy it (it's kind of expensive!) or would forget to every time I went to the store. So, when I read about this recipe on Kath's blog  I really wanted to try it out.

I had a hard time finding the Buckwheat: I went to dismore's and safeway with no success, but finally found some at the Coop in Moscow. That store is amazing. I'll have to do a separate post on it someday.

But I digress. Short story short, I found and bought the ingredients, I made the granola, and it tastes something wonderful, and has an awesome crunch to it. Yum yum!


Crunchy Buckwheat Granola
From here

2 cups raw rolled oats
1/4 cup raw almonds (or I think any other nut would work here as well)
3/4 cup raw buckwheat (aka groats)
3/4 cup raw sunflower seeds

1/4 cup canola oil or coconut oil (I used coconut which was awesome)
1/4 cup honey (or a mix of honey and maple syrup, which is also tasty!)
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla

Combine dry ingredients in big metal bowl. Combine wet ingredients in separate bowl, then add them to the dry ingredients and stir until all is mixed through.

Bake in the metal bowl or in 9X9 baking pan at 300* for 1 hour, stirring every half-hour. After the hour, remove from oven and stir again about every half hour while it's cooling. Some of it will seem to clump together and/or stick to the pan. This is a-okay!

Cool completely before storing. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment